26 October 2008

Hollywood Ending

Twisted, mangled and broken with sirens and lights all around, yet I couldn't hear a sound. Just like a scene from a horrific movie, this was the Hollywood ending of my life as I knew it.

"The street lights were carrying me home through the night when a drunken driver almost ended my life. I was living on the bright side, when all of a sudden it went black and white. Officer, tell me, why is it so quiet."

As the policeman tried to answer, nothing, not even a slight whisper rolled off his tongue though his mouth seemed to be moving slower than ever. His attention deviated elsewhere, and he began to think to himself.

"It's times like these that I turn my back on my faith, with all its pieces on the floor, like this broken glass covering the dashboard. Lord, please tell me why I'm here tonight. Why's everything so blurry? Did someone turn off the street lights or am I losing my sight? Please Lord, help me fight for my life."

"Son can you hear me? What day is it?" the policeman frantically asked me, trying to keep me conscious until the ambulance came to try to be my rescue. With so many things running through my mind it was hard to answer that simple question, "what day is it?" It was Saturday, but I couldn't help but think of what the day actually was. Ironically enough, when the accident occurred, I happened to be listening to the song, Stay or Leave by Dave Matthews. It sang of my life as it was tonight, so my answer to the policeman coincided with the song.

"Today's the day she left. Did I do all that I could to keep her happy? I mean, I remember when we would dance, we'd dance all night and everyone wanted to be us... yet now we're broke, done, out for the count. Why? I mean what caused this... just seems like yesterday, yesterday we were happy as two can be..."

No matter how loud I tried to talk, it seemed he couldn't hear a word I was saying...

I began to pray, asking the Lord why it had to be this way

No comments:

Post a Comment